There are a number of Federal and State programs available from a wide array of agencies to assist with funding community development projects. A comprehensive listing of resource partners and their funding programs can be found in GOED's Resource Directory.
A few frequently requested areas of assistance are outlined below.
To help facilitation of funding assistance from the organizations listed below, your local planning district would be an excellent resource. Find your regional planning district by clicking here. You may also contact GOED's Community Development Director by dialing (605) 204-0915 or via email at: email@example.com
- Housing Surveys
- Housing Development Funding
- The South Dakota Housing Development Authority, working through local partnerships, helps provide decent, healthy and safe housing opportunities to those in need including low-income and moderate income families. Follow this link to learn about SDHDA's various housing assistance programs: www.sdhda.org
- Water, Sewer, Treatment Facilities
- The U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development's Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) which is administered by the GOED can provide grants to incorporated municipalities and counties in South Dakota (Sioux Falls and Rapid City excluded) to assist with public facilities and improvements including water, sewer and treatment facilities. Follow this link to learn more about the CDBG Program.
- The South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources has funding to assist with solid waste management, drinking water projects and more. Follow this link to get a complete listing of applicable DENR programs.
- Roadway Assistance
- The Governor's Office of Economic Development's Local Infrastructure Improvement Program may provide grants to assist in funding the construction or reconstruction of infrastructure for the purpose of serving economic development projects. Details on this program can be found at the link above.
- The South Dakota Department of Transportation has programs to assist with the construction of roads that serve as primary access to agriculture and industrial projects, construction or reconstruction of major streets and other transportation needs. Details on DOT's various assistance programs can be found by following this link: www.sddot.com
Economic Development Organizations
- The Governor's Office of Economic Development's Economic Development Partnership Program is designed to provide matching grants to assist in funding equipment, new staff, or to elevate existing part-time staff, and help establish new revolving loan programs for the purpose of developing or expanding local economic development efforts. Details on this program can be found here.